David Harvey & Cecilia Bernabe, VRS subscribers & donors, pictured below with mezzo-soprano Cecilia Bartoli (centre).
David and Cecilia explain why they support the VRS…
Why do we love the VRS? Lots of reasons:
- We are made to feel so welcome and appreciated.
- The series just keeps getting better and better.
- We have incredible access to fabulous live performances and performers.
- Neat people with great attitudes.
- Leila has so many great stories that she shares with the audience, giving us an inside peek at the life of the VRS and the lives of the amazing artists on the Series.
- The organization achieves so much with relatively little.
- We learn so much about the music, and experience it performed at the highest level.
We love the VRS because it provides people with experiences they cannot believe they are experiencing. In short, the VRS is a huge part of our lives – it’s like another family!
Your Gift at Work
Bash the Trash performs a VRS Classics for Kids concert at Sunset Community Centre in November 2010.
It may surprise you to learn, that ticket revenues cover only half of the costs associated with bringing you the calibre of concerts you’ve come to expect from the VRS. And in fact, in this regard, the VRS is doing very well – ticket sales do cover half of our costs, and for a non-profit arts organization, that’s pretty great.
But just like everything else in this world, the costs of presenting increase year over year. So while 50% cost recovery is pretty great, it’s still a challenge to make sure we have enough to continue following our passion for sharing the very best classical music we can find with you.
- helps keep ticket prices as affordable as possible. Did you know that you can attend a VRS recital for as little as $21, even less if you’re under the age of 35?
- allows us to engage in Youth, Senior and Community outreach. The VRS offers free school concerts and Master Classes, and whenever possible, takes artists out of the concert hall and into the community for performances at community centres, the central branch of the Vancouver Public Library, and at seniors’ facilities.
- enables us to enhance your concert-going experience by offering Pre and Post-Concert Talks. Come early for a pre-concert lecture or stay late for an interactive chat* with our musicians.
- creates a new generation of classical music lovers. The VRS Youth Club gives children in Grades 3 through 12 the chance to attend live recitals for as little as $13 a ticket (unrestricted seating), and gives them access to tailor-made packages introducing them to the music and the artists, along with an invitation backstage to meet the artist(s) following the concert.
When you make a gift to the Vancouver Recital Society, you make it possible for us to present the finest performances by the world’s most celebrated artists and the next generation of musical greats, right here on your doorstep.
*Post-Concert talkbacks occur after each concert in the Next Generation Series at the Vancouver Playhouse.