Fresh off the announcement of an exciting fall season, Vancouver Recital Society is delighted to announce our recruitment drive for new members to the Board of Directors.
Are you passionate about classical music and looking for ways to give back to your community, build your network and become more engaged?
We are currently looking for individuals to bring diverse perspectives, support our governance and committee work, and potentially assume leadership roles within the Board.
We are especially interested in Board Members with a background in:
- Corporate/business law
- Governance/Policy Development
- Real Estate/Architecture/Venue Design
- Human Resources
- Indigenous Peoples and Protocols
- Information technology
In addition, the ideal candidate(s) will have the following qualifications:
- Some knowledge of non-profit governance and sector
- Ability to work as part of a team
- Strong communication and networking skills
- Enthusiasm for Vancouver Recital Society’s mission and willingness to contribute to the cause
“Being on the Vancouver Recital Society Board has been a wonderful way to give back to the community and help strengthen an organization that has, for many years, been exposing me and my friends to superb music and the best classical music performers in the world. It has been a pleasure to serve with a welcoming and knowledgeable group of Directors and a privilege to support a small staff who consistently punch above their weight in artistic discrimination, professionalism, and commitment.” Valerie Hunter
The Vancouver Recital Society Board provides strategic leadership and oversight of the organization. Board Members are asked to:
- Commit to the mission and work of Vancouver Recital Society
- Act as a public ambassador for the organization, referencing their association in their personal and professional spheres of engagement
- Participate on at least one Committee
- Regularly attend concerts and participate in public engagement, outreach activities and social media engagement when and where possible
- Donate to the society on an annual basis at a level that is meaningful to the individual, including participation in Board sponsorship of one concert annually
- Participate and support society fundraising initiatives and events, including the stewardship and thanking of donors
- Participate in periodic organizational strategic planning processes
- Applicants should be able to serve for the full term of the appointment (suggested two year minimum)
- Five regular board meetings annually: 1.5 hours each (plus pre-reading)
- One budget approval conference call: 0.5-1 hour
- Annual general meeting: under 1 hour, typically in February
- Regularly attend VRS concerts
- Committee participation: 1 hour per month (on average)
- Ongoing communications by email
Applicants 18 years or older of all genders, racial origins, income levels and sexual orientations, and persons with mixed abilities, are encouraged to apply. We are alert and sensitive to the issue of fair and equitable treatment for all, and Vancouver Recital Society has a special concern with the participation and advancement of community members that have traditionally been under-represented in our sector. As a result, the Society reserves the right to give preference/priority to those applicants as part of our ongoing efforts to reflect the diversity of Vancouver.
Interested candidates should email firstname.lastname@example.org by the close of September 30, 2022. Please include your CV or bio and in no more than 300 words let us know why you are interested and think you’d be a good fit.
We look forward to hearing from you,
Vancouver Recital Society Governance Committee
To read about Vancouver Recital Society and our mission, vision, and values, click here.
To learn more about our past programming, browse our archives.